Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Political Review

I am venturing out. I never thought I was well-versed or ablet o write well, but today I am stepping out of my comfort zone. I am going to comment on a political cartoon.

I don't normally comment on anything related to politics, mainly because I don't feel like i have taken the time to become educated. But today I feel I can successfully share my two cents on the situation.

Earlier this week, a pet chimp was shot to death because he attacked a person, causing severe damages to their face. Later a politcal cartoon was published in the New York Post.


Immediatly contraversies arose, saying the chimp represents President Obama and the cartoon was blantly racist.

My view? First of all, our country has elected a "mixed" President (an African-American/white). We, as a country are trying to overcome the horrible hold of racism that has ben present for so many years. We cannot, however look toward an optimist future if people/critics keeping pointing out how it could be seen as racist. We will never get past racism if people continue to plant ideas in other people's heads.

Okay, here's my interpration of the politcal cartoon:

The chimp doesn't represent President Obama at all, but government as a whole. Afterall it wasn't Obama who wrote the stimulus plan at all. The artist is simply stating that government is acting like a monkey, in which they propose is just a "dumb animal" (even though monkeys are one of the smartest of all mammals). The cartoon is also representing the latest news of the chimp being shot from earlier this week.

If I recall correctly, President Bush was compared to a picture of a chimp over twenty times! We didn't refer to that as racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment