Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Food Waste Wednesday (aka Food Waste Friday)

In attempt to waste less food, I will be taking a picture of my spoiled and expired food.  This is the food we either forgot about, didn't want anymore, or let rot on accident.  In most cases, I make a menu-- only problem is, I don't follow through or make sure that I stick with it.  So, I'm better off with making food that isn't perishable.  And who likes all food that isn't perishable?  Not me!  


I have been following a blog who does "Food Waste Fridays".  My trash comes on Wednesday, so I retitled mine, "Food Waste Wednesday."  So every Tuesday night, I will clean out my fridge and counters, and pile up the "nasty" food that has gone bad, and take a picture.  I will be held accountable for the food I waste.  And hopefully, it will get better as the weeks turn into months and the months into years.


This week-- my first week, was bad!  We had left overs we have had in the fridge for a good couple of weeks.  Yuck is right!  Here's what we wasted:


-Several tomatoes and various peppers from the garden
-a whole bag of potatoes (we got free, but still!)
Food Waste Wednesday-- Week 1
-3 loose potatoes
-about 3 pieces of celery
-a couple of spoonfuls of couscous
-butternut squash soup (a little too spicy for me)
-3 pieces of chicken
-2 pieces of pork tenderloin
-noodles
-2 bottles of formula (with about 4 oz each)
-1 sippy cup of milk
-little bit of Louisiana stew
-homemade salsa (from the summer!)
-mashed potatoes and fiesta corn
-a small bag of salad.


Whew!  I'm embarrassed.  But that's the point.  So I don't waste anymore food.

No comments:

Post a Comment