Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Trouble with Pumping

*****WARNING!!! THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!****

About two weeks ago, I noticed that I couldn't produce very much milk when I was pumping. Before that, I was pumping almost 4 ounces on each side. I normally pump on my drive to school (yes, yes, yes, I pump and drive. So what? That's the only time I get to pump. Talk to my governor.) I would pump to and from school and once after lunch-- if I'm lucky. Sometimes, I don't get that after lunch pumping session in because someone needs to talk to me or I need to do something for school. I usually have only 30 minutes to eat and pump, and sometimes I can't get it all in.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that I couldn't even get two ounces out, on both sides! I was totaling two ounces. After a few days like that (no stress, to my knowledge), I was like "This is not going to work for me". I sought out other ways to boost up my milk supply. I began some researching online, sought out kellymom.com, and ask for suggestions on the trusty Facebook. I love to talk to my Facebook mom friends. They are so helpful (most of the time-- except when I ask about buying a van!! HAHA). I decided to try Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, herbal supplements. I read that Fenugreek makes your sweat, milk and urine smell like maple syrup-- that can't be all that bad? (In hindsight, it is really gross). I took it pretty faithfully for about two days. I haven't really seen a difference. However, McCoy was asleep for six hours (well, from 10 pm-4:30 am) and my right was just BURSTING. So, I had to get up and pump. 5 ounces (total)!!! Maybe my milk supply is back. But I did have to pump at 4:45 in the morning, and that totally sucks (get it? Sucks?!). I'm hoping that the Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle worked and I don't have to take it anymore. I might try it for another week and then see if I can stop.

I do want to mention, I stayed in bed all day Friday and mostly Saturday and took Whit's cousin Alexis' advice. I believe it really did help. But I'm not sure how much of that I can do-- I don't know how often I need to do that. I'm really glad that my Rezound Retreat got canceled yesterday because I wouldn't have had enough bottles for daycare. Poor McCoy. I hope this isn't the end of pumping and breastfeeding for him. I'm not ready to give it up and I know McCoy wants his booby!!!

I feel this deep connection with breastfeeding, as if I've been doing it my whole life. I couldn't imagine not doing it. I know that it's not for everyone (just ask Nick!), but I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it for their children. I'm not sure how long I will breastfeed, I defiantly don't want to stop at 5 months. I'm not stopping. I will continue... I will keep going.


No comments:

Post a Comment