Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy 5 Months, McCoy!

Today McCoy is 5 months old!

In reference to my previous post, I decided to be ready with food for McCoy. Looking through my two baby puree books, I read the complete first chapters of each book. I learned that food can be frozen for about six weeks (or 3 months according to some websites). So, I had to go to the store anyhow, why not pick up some organic carrots?

I got a package of about six organic carrots for $.99. I strolled to the baby food asile to see how much carrots were. According to Amazon.com, there is a 8 pack of baby food (in the plastic containers) that basically cost $.61 per oz. But if I did the math right, I have 14 oz of pureed carrots, and now I just made that for $.07 an oz!! And I have about 7 settings of carrots ready to go! I also bought avocado (according to my book, it says that avocados are not recommended for freezing, but I looked it up online and it says it is totally fine!). So tomorrow, I will mash up some avocado and freeze that as well.

I'm not sure if this falls under the "become a better finaical keeper" or "become a better mother" or both!

Preparing to Boil the Carrots


Getting Ready to Puree the Carrots


Pureed!


Into Freezer Cubes The Carrots Go!! (This is a Beaba Freezer Tray that I bought at the Here We Grow Again sale in the fall-- I think I paid $7.00!)

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! Lets see how he like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sell these little mini-food mill's that you can carry in your diaper bag when you go out to eat. That way all you have to do is pop some of whatever you are having into the mill and grind away. We've really enjoyed ours!

    ReplyDelete