Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weaning is in our future

When I found out I was pregnant with McCoy, I never really gave it much thought about breastfeeding.  I didn't really think about pumping or formula mixing or anything like that.  I think maybe I was too consumed in how my body was changing and getting ready for the baby to arrive.  In looking back now, I probably had more fun getting his room all ready and buying clothes and stuff than I was actually thinking about parenting, nursing, and other important life decisions.  Then when we went to the hospital and McCoy was born, I didn't even know how to breastfeed-- although it came VERY natural to me.  I was lucky in that way.  It wasn't hard for me at all. After about a month or so, pumping also became pretty easy for me.  But I never thought about the length of time I would be spending breastfeeding.  After about six months, I decided that I was going to nurse for at least a year.  I wanted to get to 18 months if possible.

Well, here it is.  In two short weeks, McCoy will be 18 months.  Can you believe the time went by so fast?  There are some days where I just sit and look at him and think, "Oh my gosh, he is such a big boy!"  And other days, I'm begging for him to be a teenager (or at least 8) so he will SLEEP IN on the weekends!!!  (Of course, those latter feelings are very few and between).  :)

Just as unplanned as I was about breastfeeding, I am the same about weaning.  Personally, I cannot do it any longer.  I will probably end up nursing him until he is 18 months (hopefully before-- I am ready!).  I know, you are probably thinking I'm such a cruel parent for wanting to wean my son without him being ready.  Well, you know what?  I think this will be the best for both of us.  And here is why:

Our nightly routine consists of McCoy wanting to nurse in my bed until he falls asleep.  I usually have no problem with this.  In fact, the last few weeks, we've both been falling asleep.  I love co-sleeping.  When Whit is gone.  I hate co-sleeping when Whit is there.  Now, my growing boy has much longer, and stronger legs, not to mention his razor-like toenails that like to dig into my belly fat.  Yes, it is a very uncomfortable situation... for me, at least. Between 1:45-3:00 in the morning, McCoy will wake up with blood-curling screams and demand (yes, DEMAND) that he come back into bed with us.  And then he latches on and stays there for about an hour and half... again with the legs and the toenails...  And then I end up not getting any sleep.  Then in the morning, I'm tired, irritated and frustrated (especially if Whit is there, because he still gets to sleep peacefully).  

I've made up my mind.  I've done some research.  I'm going to give it a whirl.  My guess is that it will take at least a week or maybe two before I get him completely weaned.  I'm going to try a few tricks that I read about (but I refuse to put lemon juice or vinegar on my nipples!!  That's just mean!)

I loved breastfeeding McCoy.  And as you can tell, he loves it too!  I love the bond that we've created and our relationship is better because of it.  Even though I work all day and usually have activities at night, I know that we've still created time together because I nursed him.  But the time has come to an end and I truly believe that McCoy will be better off as well.

I'll report back when, and only when my baby McCoy (age 18 months) is completely weaned.


2 comments:

  1. Tenessa- I weaned Nolan at 16 months. I was also FOUR months preggo at that point.ha I figures the girls needed a break before Ava was born.
    Nolan was totally ready, he would latch for o ly a few minutes, if that- and get down to play. So when it came to bedtime, I had tj put him to bed for the first few nights. We were golden! He also woke up in the middle of the night, usually just once.
    You aren't beig cruel! You nursed longer than the average woman does- honestly it's probably more out of habit and comfort right now.
    Once they start eating table food, they need us less and less for actual nutrition. Like when Nolan was his age, McCoy should be sleeping through thenight. He shouldn't be hungry at night now- maybe give him a snack right before bed. I did that with Nolan, I would give him some yogurt.
    Great job making this far!!

    ReplyDelete