Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June: Be a Better Gardener

Junes is dedicated to gardening! This has become one of my many passions in the last couple of years. When "being green" was starting to become a popular idea, I got into growing my own veggies. I think that's where it all started. My parents have always grown tomatoes and various spices. It's made me want to garden as well.

Last year, Whit built me a garden on the side of our fence. It's nothing big and spectacular; it's just right (for now!). Our first year, we planted several zucchini squash plants, plump tomatoes, grape tomatoes, several cucumber plants, green beans, and carrots. I learned a lot from that first year. I learned that even though pesticides are not healthy for you, bugs will ruin your food! So, maybe a little bit is okay? I also learned that one zucchini plant should do it. The carrots really should be left alone for the 70 days or so... picking them too early gives you little fetus carrots that are not good for anything!

This year, I've learned a lot already. For example, DON'T plant too early. Otherwise they will die. And that's what happened to our loot of veggies. The only thing that has still survived so far is our peas. So, this year, we are starting over. This is what we are growing:

  • Zucchini squash (1)
  • Green beans (a lot!!)
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Peas
  • JalapeƱo peppers
  • Green bell peppers
  • Cilantro
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Lavender
In case you are wondering, we are planning to make our own salsa! (Not for canning or freezing or anything crazy like that... just for our occasion summer dinners).

So, I better get to it. Here it is, June 8 and the only thing that is surviving out there is my peas. Here's to Tuesday's To Do list: Plant seeds!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment