Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Projects

It seems that I always try and do something while on summer holiday.  I love the fact that I can devote 8 weeks to something for me.  Of course, I realize how much harder it is with a baby, but nonetheless, I have chosen a project to devote my summer to.  My devotion: cleaning my house.  Yes, that's right... cleaning my house.  I'm not just talking about the occasional pick up the toys, papers and trash... I mean, clean.  To do this, I sought the advice of the FlyLady, which I've blogged about previously.

Her program is very simple, although it is very confusing at the beginning.  I have taken things from her program and adapted them to my own lifestyle.  For example, I have more staminia then just 15 minutes a day, so I decided to tackle two rooms at 15 minutes a day.  Sounds like nothing, right?  But each day, it adds up... quickly.  And I don't feel like I have wasted my whole day cleaning.

My favorite love/hate room is the kitchen.  It just seems like crap collects and NEVER leaves this room.  When I started the program, we were in Zone 2: the Kitchen.  When I read this, I was relieved.  Perfect.  I can tackle my monster right away.  But of course, it still needs work.  Just because each week is spent focusing on a different zone, you still have to keep it up!  Here is the plan-- de-clutter (aka clean) for 15 minutes, then do Kelly's mission of the day.  Last week in the kitchen was: Monday-- wipe the tops of the cabinets, and clean the top of the fridge (YUCK!!), Tuesday-- wipe all the fronts of the cabinet doors,  Wednesday-- clean out the fridge and throw away expired and leftover foods (ahem, yucky!), Thursday-- SCRUB the countertops (including what's underneath them, aka the toaster, the breadbox, etc), and Friday-- sweep and mop the kitchen floor.  My kitchen looks IMMACULATE!  (well, I didn't do the snack bar, but hey, 15 minutes a day can't get you everywhere!!!)

I feel a sense of pride having stuck with her plan for the week.  I did it!  And even Whit noticed, which is saying a lot.  This week we are in Zone 3-- Bathrooms and One Extra Bedroom (I'm doing McCoy's room and dun, dun, dun.... the Craft Room).  I'm hoping that Whit will notice and be uber excited for me!

I'm also using Cozi to help me CROSS it off!  My life is all about cleaning right now... so you better put that plate in the dishwasher folks!!!

1 comment:

  1. There you go, continuing to make the rest of us look bad.

    ReplyDelete