Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

First Success!

I mentioned that I was experimenting with freezer cooked meals for the crock pot.  Well, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen (ha!  only 2 and a half hours!) making many 14 meals.  I still have more to make, but I got tired! :)
My first trip to the freezer: Four bags of Mexican Soup, Four bags of Honey I Fed the Kid, and three bags of Garlic Honey Chicken.  Yes, I rock!!


My first success: Mexican Soup
Here is the recipe:

  • 1 can of chicken broth
  • 1 can of green beans
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 can beans (any kind)
  • 3 chicken breasts (you can toss them in frozen)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
Throw into a gallon sized freezer ziploc and throw it in the freezer.  I placed mine in the freezer very carefully, though.  :)
When you want to cook it, throw it in, cook it on low until you can shred the chicken (6-7 hours). I cooked it on low for a very long time.  I put it in about 6:15 am and Whit and McCoy ate around 6:30. When Whit got home around 4:45, he turned it on low.  I ate around 7:30 pm.  It was not burnt at all.   It had excellent flavor and not too much taco seasoning.  We put sour cream on it and it tasted wonderful!

Now, I cooked four batches of this soup!  The one recipe called for 3 chicken breasts, but I only put in two and I would probably just do one chicken breast the next time.  It seemed like a lot of chicken to me, once the veggies and tomatoes cooked up a bit.  But it tasted wonderful!  Left-overs included on small bowl for lunch today, and a big bowl for left-over dinner.  The best part, it did NOT stink up the whole house!!!  


Okay, that's not my first try at the freezer thing.  I also did a recipe called Honey, I Fed the Kids Chicken dinner.  This is called a "Dump Recipe" from the Lazy Day Gourmet.  Here is the link.  I grilled it and we had roasted potatoes and okra, and also green beans (with thyme and parmesan cheese mixed in-- great way to spice up a plain ol' can of green beans!).  I give it 4 stars.  It was received well by my family.  Whit said the chicken had great flavor.  I just like grilled chicken!  We ate this on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment