Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bonding Time

After you have a baby, everyone thinks they need to offer advice. While I'm all ears, some of it is taken with a grain of salt.

People have told me that the best bonding time comes from nursing. I agree but my favorite time with McCoy is actually when he is through nursing. When he is full and satisfied, he pushes away from me with his little lips pursed. He often has milk smeared all over his tiny face. And then, he always does the sweetest thing. He smiles with gratitude and lays his head on my breast before I have a chance to put it away. He falls asleep with his head resting on my skin. And we rock and rock until I know he has drifted to dreamland. My mother has told me a number of times not to rock him to sleep, because he will get used to it and not go to bed any other way. This is my bonding time with him. I know that when I rock him, he will feel safe, secure and comforted. And the feeling is mutal. I feel so comforted when I hold him close to my heart and rock him to sleep. I love this time I can spend with McCoy. He has proven to me when he falls asleep in the bouncer seat, in the swing, on the floor, that this is not always the case. He can fall asleep without me, I just want to cherish every moment I have with him right now.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, Tenessa. I empathize with you deeply on this matter. In my opinion it's impossible to "spoil" a newborn. That little guy just came from the hands of a higher being. He deserves your doting love. Besides, spoiling comes with age. ;) Trust yourself to know when to hold onto him (for both of your benefits) and when to put him down (for both of your benefits). You'll know.

    ReplyDelete