Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

20 minute intervals

This post will probably be written in several 20-minute intervals.  I'm guessing about 6.

Interval #1--- 7:20-7:40
McCoy.  Sigh.  I love the kid.  But he has cursed me with no sleep.  Everyone always told me, "Get as much sleep as you can, because your life is about to change," or "You have a baby... say goodbye to sleep."  Well, you know what?  Why does it have to be this way?  Not every kid refuses to sleep.  I was so lucky... I got a kid that only sleeps on average 5 to 6 hours a night.  That can not be good.  And lately (the last three or so nights) it's gotten worse.  I've made my several pleas on Facebook; reaching out to all my mother and father friends.  HELP ME!  What do you do with your children?  How do I get some shut eye?  And how do I get it to become a habit?  A ritual?  A routine?  A schedule?  A technique?  A procedure?  How do I get to sleep for more than one night every five or so weeks?  What's wrong with my child?  Why won't he sleep?

I have noticed some terrible changes in his behavior.  Temper tantrums, almost.  For instance, yesterday we went to Target.  I started to put him in the cart seat and strap him in-- he threw a fit and demanded to sit in the basket part of the cart.  At first, I let him.  But made him sit still.  Then he started to stand up.  So, in the seat part he went.  McCoy-- 1 point.  Mom-- 1 point.  Tied.

Today, we ran some errands.  He refused to take a nap today, so we left without a nap.  He slept on the way there.  Fine by me.  Mom-- 2 points.  McCoy-- 1 point.  Ha!  But when I went to put him back in his seat after our first errand, he refused to get buckled in.  And arched his back-- I know you moms know what I'm talking about!  I kicked my body force into a higher gear, and about 5 minutes later, he was finally buckled in.  Mom-- 2 points.  McCoy-- 2 points.  But then, he continued to scream and throw fits the whole 30 minute car ride to our next destination.... McCoy gets 2 points for that one.  McCoy-- 4 points.  Mom-- 2 points.

Interval #2--- 7:45-8:05
McCoy is not acting like himself.  I know that he is 4 months away from the big TWO, but this just isn't like him. Flailing around and dropping into dead weight... it's just not right.  Something is wrong.  Medically.  Behaviorally?  Chemically?  Something just isn't right.

I decided to call the doctor and see what was going on.

So I took him in for possible ear infection (because he was tugging and itching the back of his ears a lot) or swimmer's ear.  The first couple of questions the doctor asks: "Does he have a fever?"  Nope.  "How is he sleeping?"  HORRIBLE!!!  TERRIBLE!!  Thanks for asking.

Come to find out, he has eczema really bad on his back (we've known about), but just recently came up behind his ears.  According to the doctor, he thinks that McCoy is itching and uncomfortable and can't get a good nights sleep.  So here are the things he suggested to try: Zyretc, medicated prescription ointment for his eczema, turning on more lights, making bedtime earlier (7-7:30) and two naps a day.

Overtired?  Yup.  So am I.

He said to put McCoy in his bed-- let him cry for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, go in and HOLD HIM to soothe him (thank you, finally some soothing), then put him down for another interval.  We are about to start interval #3.

Here was our schedule so far tonight.

Dinner-- 6:30 pm
Bath-- 6:45 pm
PJs and book-- 7:10 pm
Into bed-- 7:20 pm

And then the intervals started.  He told me to call him in a week if it didn't get any better.

The next step is to completely change his diet, sleep journals (which I've already started a few days ago), and the sleep clinic at Children's Mercy.

Doctor said he could tell I was sleep deprived.  I bet I could count the number of nights that McCoy has successfully slept through the night on two hands.  And doing the calculations, I'll bet it's been three years since I've had a good sleeping schedule for myself.  How can I be a good mother if I don't take care of myself?  I need WAY more sleep than what I'm getting.

Interval #3.... just went in after interval #3.  Picked him and rocked him and hugged him.  He went right to sleep.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's journey.

2 comments:

  1. Keep at it and stay strong. I'll keep praying that this will work and that things will get better! I'm sorry to hear that it's been a rough couple of days or so. Love you - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Mama!! This too shall pass, and then he will do something to really wow you before he moves on the next infuriating "phase" ...with lots of fun, cool, awesome stuff in between!!

    My first born took 30 minute power naps for the first year of his life, never slept more than 4 hours in a row at night...screamed every time I put him in the car, and could scream for an hour straight while I was trying to drive...(I had to start wearing earplugs, I was so afraid I was going to wreck)...my family was 1200 miles away and there was no facebook to consult friends on...he'll be 10 next month, got all As and Bs in the 4th Grade, scored 3 first place ribbons in his swim meet last week and is testing for yet another belt for Tae Kwon Do this week!! Does he still, occasionally (frequently) drive me nuts? You bet! Would I change any of it? Not a chance!!

    It is so hard to get any kind of perspective when you're totally exhausted, all I can say is hang in there!

    Hugs!
    Amy Crumpacker

    ReplyDelete