Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Art of Music Making

Tonight I am reminded about the true reason I am a musician.  It is not because I love to sing kid songs and teach children the art of how music can sound if you practice hard enough.  It's about the commitment that that you make to the art of music making.  Tonight I sat in the Lyric Theater awaiting my turn to go on stage and I heard the sweet, rich sounds of true music.  Music that has been practiced on instruments that have been perfected by committed musicians who make this their way of life.  I forget that music can evolve and change each time you listen with enthusiastic ears.  This is the music that can bring tears to your eyes simply because the cymbal player played a tremolo that led to a crash while the strings play a chromatic scale with a splendid crescendo and the trumpets are double tonguing in the upper register so majestically.  This is what I forget about.  This is what singing "Kookaburra," and "Jingle Bells," and "I've Been Working on the Railroad," oftentimes replaces.  This heartfelt music that I heard tonight is why I became a musician.  Music is more than singing those silly songs and teach children to sing on pitch "So, Mi, So-So, Mi"!

This is out there, folks.  Music beyond the music room that I live in.  It makes me want to experience this again the way it is meant to be appreciated.  If you sit in a theater with your loved ones, and close your eyes, you will be taken to a place where there nothing can go wrong.  It is a place that everyone wants to be, and you can be there-- you just have to find it.

Happy Music Making to all my friends today.  I hope you find your inner song and sing like today is the last day to make beautiful music.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I totally "get" it. THIS is why I'm going to grad school!

    ReplyDelete